Pulmonary Function Technologist
Clinical Support, Full-time, R0011431 Long Beach, California, United States of America
Responsible for providing expert, professional care in the pulmonary diagnostic and educational areas by assessing, planning, implementing, evaluating and providing care in Pulmonary Diagnostics and Pulmonary Education. Works closely with Pulmonary Educator/Disease Manager to coordinate the operations of the Pulmonary Rehabilitation/Disease Management program.
Pulmonary Function Testing:
- Explains procedures and prepares patient for test.
- Methacholine challenge testing and bronchoprovocation tests.
- Knows and recognizes contra-indications and notifies provider if present.
- Operates equipment, monitors vital signs as indicated, and completes report for provider according to policy.
- Recognizes and responds to adverse patient conditions which may arise during testing.
- Responds and participates in emergency situations.
- Understands and is competent in the operation of the pulmonary function testing equipment and is able to troubleshoot when equipment problems arise.
- Keeps an accurate record of testing completed per facility on a monthly basis to be used for statistical reporting.
- Coordinates completion of surveys and disease-specific questionnaires.
- Develops, updates, and revises policies and procedures for the pulmonary testing laboratory.
- Ability to effectively teach specific breathing maneuvers to obtain correct measurements, enthusiastic coaching, showing empathy, and developing trust with patients to encourage best patient performance.
- Assists the Pulmonary Educator in maintaining and updating policies and procedures for the pulmonary disease management programs.
- Assists Pulmonary Educator in updating patient educational and communication materials.
- Assists Pulmonary Educator in obtaining, evaluating and reporting outcomes for the pulmonary disease management programs.
- Maintains QI procedures and records for all pulmonary equipment.
- Performs health education presentations for pulmonary-related programs through the Health Enhancement department as needed.
- Ensures that adequate supplies are available in diagnostic testing and program areas.
- Participates in quality improvement activities as needed.
- 1 or 2 years of post-high school education or a degree from a two-year college.
- Graduate of a 2-year AMA-approved school of respiratory therapy and/or is registry eligible by the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- Current California RCP (Respiratory Care Practitioner) license.
- ACLS and BCLS certified.
- RPFT or CPFT by the National Board of Respiratory Care preferred.
- Over 1 year and up to and including 3 years of experience.
- Experience with arterial blood gas sampling, analysis and interpretation.
- Experience in developing educational materials for patients.
- Experience in group and individual presentation and/or counseling.
- 3 years experience in pulmonary function and diagnostic testing (includes operation of equipment, interpretation of results and preparation of report for the provider).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Computer literate.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Thorough knowledge of pulmonary disease and its treatment.
- Knowledge of arterial blood gas sampling, analysis and interpretation.
- Ability to interpret basic EKG’s and arrhythmia.